This Friday evening marks the sixth year that San Francisco’s progressive reform Congregation Sha’ar Zahav has stepped into the role of Jewish community caretaker for the annual sacred event of transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR).
More and more people, trans and non-trans, are raising their voices in commemoration each year.
This particular evening, open to the greater community – both Jews and our Jewish allies, will be focused on remembering all who have suffered from anti-transgender violence.
The service beginning at 7:30pm led by Rabbi Camille Angel and Martin Rawlings-Fein will be focused in part on the holy act of remembering.
Together as a community we will read the names of those that have been murdered this year due to anti-transgender violence. As well as all of the unknown whom no one really knew the following names will be included:
♥ Idania Roberta Sevilla Raudales z”l, ♥ Luisa Alvarado Hernández z”l, ♥ Lady Óscar Martínez Salgado z”l, ♥ Reana ‘Cheo’ Bustamente z”l, ♥ Génesis Briget Makaligton z”l, ♥ Krissy Bates z”l, ♥ Fergie Alice Ferg z”l, ♥ Jessica Rollon z”l, ♥ Tyra Trent z”l, ♥ Priscila Brandão z”l, ♥ Marcal Camero Tye z”l, ♥ Shakira Harahap z”l, ♥ Miss Nate Nate (or Née) Eugene Davis z”l, ♥ Lashai Mclean z”l, ♥ Didem z”l, ♥ Camila Guzman z”l, ♥ Gaby z”l, ♥ Gaurav Gopalan z”l, ♥ Shelley Hilliard z”l
May each of these names be for a blessing.
- read more on trans remembrance day by martin rawlings-fein
- Official Transgender Remembrance Blog http://www.transgenderdor.org/?page_id=1663
- From shul to the mikvah, transgender Jews seek place in Jewish life (jta.org)
- Transgender Day of Remembrance (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Transgender Day of Remembrance (queerlandia.com)
- Emerson Whitney: Trans Representation in the Media (huffingtonpost.com)
- Happy to be a girl (connection-revolution.com)
- 13th Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance, 11/20 (uchicagolgbtq.wordpress.com)
- Remembrance Day (mrdavis10.wordpress.com)
- Rebecca Juro: Why Transgender Identity Matters (huffingtonpost.com)