san francisco is the home of the third largest metropolitan jewish community in north america and within this number are approximately 36,000 lgbt queer self-identified jews. i get asked a lot about how to find “the” queer jewish community. meaning to many that are asking, “where is the community? you know, the one that distinctly pulses with fabulous people sort of like me?”
i don’t have a definitive answer but it seems folks generally want to know where to physically find the queer jews that they want to hang-out with, to date, to fall in love with, to have a family with, to network with, to simply know who and where they are… so far, in my relatively short time in the bay area, it seems that the community is made up several intersecting times. each time seeming to intersect within a microcosm of a few respected and connected people. these people also seem to make the time to show-up, often bravely alone, at events or activities that seem to share similar themes and values to them.
so this is one of the reasons why i am constantly populating our queer jewish community calendar with ways that queer jewish folks (and their family and friends) can get involved and get connected to the community. so take a look and match your interests with the events listed (film festivals, israel travel, active-activism like the aids walk, family camping weekends, foodie conferences, art exhibitions…) and find the community of queer jews that works for you.
- Jewish LGBT organizations stake claim in SF (Heather Cassell for ebar.com)
- a new queer jewish san francisco based blog with lots of photos of local queer jews (jewga.tumblr.com)
- Religion: My Struggle to be Jewish and Queer (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Choosing Femme: Visibility, Safety, Community, Liberation (queeringjew.com)
- Things You Should Never Ask a Jew of Color (Black, Gay & Jewish Blog)
- Volunteers are my personal hero’s and further, they are serious superstars! Thank you for your help. (qjew.wordpress.com)
- Pink Washed: Gay Rights and the Mideast Conflict (Salon.com)
- Oy Gay! (Jewish Journal)
- Kirtzono a forum for Orthodox Jewish parents with LGBT children
- With flurry of new local studies, Jewish communities seeing trends and making changes (jta.org)
- Claiming our Inheritance at the Boston Dyke March (queerinterfaithcommunity.org)
- Tirtzah: A Community of Frum Gay Women
- Shalom! Sasha T. Goldberg! Shalom! (qjew.wordpress.com)