During one incredible weekend each summer dozens of families from across the globe gather together at Camp Tawonga for what is called, Keshet LGBTQ Family Camp. Keshet, meaning rainbow in Hebrew, provides an opportunity for families that somewhat resemble each other to have fun hiking, creating arts and crafts, and partaking in workshops (learn more).
Single-headed families, blended-families, co-parenting families, interfaith families that identify somewhere along the of Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Trans spectrum find themselves returning each summer. Last summer at Keshet I brought my own model of queer family to Keshet. I brought my god-niece because I want to be sure that she grows up experiencing the joy and normalcy of other queer families like ours.
This year’s Keshet LGBTQ Weekend is August 25-28 and due to the generosity of the donors to our Jewish Community Federation’s LGBT Alliance, Camp Tawonga is able to offer 10% off every families Keshet program fees to those who register by June 30. This discount will not affect any additional financial assistance applications or decisions. Additionally, our Jewish Community Federation provides needs-based scholarships for Jewish children who live in the San Francisco Bay Area to attend a qualified family specialty camp (learn more). Please help me spread the word about these great financial assistance programs and I look forward to seeing each of you and yours along the river this summer at Keshet!
- What our Jewish community looks like (qjew.wordpress.com)
- Shalom! Sasha T. Goldberg! Shalom! (qjew.wordpress.com)
- Rabbi Andrea Myers: It Gets Beautiful: One Rabbi’s Perspective on Being Jewish and LGBTQ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Defending the Rights of the LGBTQ Community (whitehouse.gov)
- Expanding the Rainbow Jewish LGBT Group opens Bay Area Office (J Weekly)
- Camp Tawonga to offer first family camp for Gays and Lesbian Families (J Weekly)